11.11.09

A Day Dedicated to My Dad

Veterans Day... so many thoughts come to mind. First of all I want to thank all of the men and women who have fought or are fighting for peace in this world. You are all amazing individuals! I want to dedicate this post to my dad. He is a man like no other. A role model that everyone should look up to and try to be like. He puts others needs before his own, HE is amazing and HE is my DAD! When he was just a kid, really, he stepped up for his country and went to fight in Vietnam. He was extremely brave, did all he could, fought in the front lines, lived a nightmare he could never and will never wake up from! How I wish I could erase the horrible things he witnessed... was part of. He did this all for his COUNTRY! I have to thank God for protecting him in an ultimately dangerous time... it was a miracle he made it out alive. God knew he had so much more to offer this world. Sadly, his return home should have been the best welcoming home but no, his country did not stand behind him... there was no welcome home!!! How I wish I could go back in time and change that. Our Vietnam vets deserved so much more... words can never express. I know my dad would rather try and forget everything. But it's all the events we are part of that shape us as a person. You are who you are today dad because of your bravery, your strength, your work ethic, because of the war, because of putting others needs before your own. Because of all this you are a wonderful husband, the best father and grandpa. I am so very lucky to have you as my dad. You have taught me so much about life, love and determination. You have touched so many people in our community and many more. I hope you realize how special you are! YOU are my HERO! And I will never be able to thank you enough for all that you do. You have made me a better person. I love you dad!

The painting above was done by me years ago of my dad. Titled My Hero, My Dad.
Happy Veterans Day!

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a powerful post....filled my heart with joy.