25.9.14

Praises & Mesothelioma

I have to start by saying how amazing it is how the Lord works. Just the other day I asked God out loud if I should even be blogging. I've contemplated giving it up a few times and so I asked Him to guide me, to let me know what direction I should go. Literally, just a few hours later I got my response! I received an email asking if I could help spread awareness about mesothelioma from a family who had experienced the nasty diagnosis first hand; they really wanted their story shared. And so I am more than honored to fill you in on what mesothelioma is but first lets meet the family...
Cameron, Heather and their beautiful daughter Lily Von St. James

At the age of 36, just weeks after giving birth, Heather was diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma. I'm sure you are wondering what mesothelioma is. Mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer that attacks the lining of the body cavity called the mesothelium. The only known cause is exposure to asbestos. On average, individuals who are diagnosed with this type of cancer are given only 10 months to live. Scary! God was not ready to take Heather home though... He had a different plan for her and her family. She underwent a life saving surgery that included the removal of her left lung. Now she is thriving, able to help others who need support and spreading awareness alongside her family. Praise the Lord!
I hadn't heard the name mesothelioma before but I had heard about asbestos. My high school had been condemned a few years after I graduated due to asbestos. The high school had to be rebuilt. The scary and sad part is around 30 million pounds of asbestos are still being used in the United States today... in homes, schools and commercial/industrial buildings! On July 12, 1989, the EPA issued a final rule banning most asbestos containing products. In 1991, this regulation was overturned by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. As a result of the Court's decision, only a few asbestos-containing products remain banned. Infuriating if you ask me! I'm sure it comes down to government/people who are so money hungry they don't care about the well being of others... this happens way too often. People need to HELP others and create a safe environment!

This year 10,000 Americans will die of asbestos-related diseases such as lung cancer or mesothelioma and 200,000 will be living with asbestos. Asbestos isn't just an American problem though, it is also being used in building material in several developing countries including Brazil, India, China, Russia and Canada. Mesothelioma commonly sits inactive in the body for 20-50 years after initial exposure to asbestos so the most common ages being diagnosed are between 50 and 70. Second hand exposure from parents or spouses who worked closely with the asbestos is also an alarming problem so please help share this information!

This is a preventable cancer. Help get rid of asbestos, spread the word! More information about mesothelioma can be found HERE.

Thank you Cameron and Heather for sharing your story!

And so it looks like my blog will be staying around a bit longer. God's pushing on my heart... if I can inspire, support, share awareness for someone else, even just one on this little online space of mine, that is good. :)

Have a blessed weekend! 
Do something good for someone else and spread the word about mesothelioma. ♥

No comments: